Talk to a lawyer today at

Talk to a lawyer today at 541-359-4331

Dedicated To Protecting What Matters Most

  1. Home
  2.  – 
  3. Birth Injuries
  4.  – Mother in another state wins birth injury case

Mother in another state wins birth injury case

When a woman is pregnant, she trusts her doctor to help her through the pregnancy and come out on the other side of it with a healthy child. It is unfortunate that every year, numerous women in Oregon and elsewhere find themselves or their children hurt due to their doctor’s actions. When that happens, they may be entitled to seek compensation for their resulting losses. Recently, a mother in another state took her birth injury case to court and won. Now she should have the funds needed to care for her child for the rest of his life.

This case started nine years ago when the plaintiff went in for a sonogram, and the test revealed her son was experiencing growth restrictions. Rather than sending her to a specialist, her physician wrote it off as not a big deal. When the child was born just a few months later, it was discovered that he had suffered a significant brain bleed in utero, which ultimately resulted in severe brain damage. He has needed and will continue to need round the clock care for the rest of his life.

Legal counsel for the defendant claims the complications were tied to premature delivery and not doctor error. However, a jury found otherwise. The plaintiff was awarded $2.6 million, which she plans to place in an account set aside to cover her son’s ongoing needs. It was not reported if the defendant is going to appeal the ruling.

Having a child born with a significant birth injury takes a toll. If evidence suggests a medical provider’s actions contributed to the injury in any way, he or she can and should be held accountable. Working through a medical malpractice claim is not easy, and it does take time, but if it is successful, one will feel the time and energy spent was worthwhile. Oregon residents who believe they have a birth injury claim can turn to legal counsel for a case review and, if deemed appropriate, further assistance pursuing relief through negotiations or litigation.