When A Surgical Error Changes Your Life
We’ve all heard horror stories of patients who have awoken from surgery with clamps, scissors, sponges or other surgical implements inside them. Sadly, these and other surgical errors continue to happen in our hospitals in spite of improved procedures to manage operating rooms and additional personnel being in place to account for surgical implements before patients’ incisions are closed.
At the Law Office of Robert A. Miller, we defend victims of medical malpractice throughout Oregon. With decades of experience handling personal injury and medical malpractice cases, we can help you seek compensation for the damages you have suffered. If you or a loved one has suffered an injury due to a surgical error, I offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case.
Surgical Errors Come In Many Forms
The following are examples of surgical errors:
- Operating on the wrong body part, including amputation of an otherwise healthy limb or removal of a healthy kidney instead of a diseased one
- Damaging a client’s spinal cord during back surgery, resulting in full or partial paralysis
- Anesthesia errors such as failure to maintain blood pressure during surgery or administering a medication to which the patient is allergic
- Nicking the bladder, intestines, colon or other organs during surgery
- Failure to monitor a patient for post-surgical complications like infections or blood clots
- Nerve damage from accidentally cutting them during a delicate nervous system or vascular surgery
- Errors during an eye surgery that result in blindness or impaired vision
- Hospital staff errors, such as improperly dosing, prescribing or administering medication following surgery
Every surgery has risks and no doctor can make explicit guarantees about a particular outcome. However, if your surgical injury was caused by medical negligence, we will work hard to hold the provider accountable and recover compensation for you.